Good morning and happy Friday! What’s everyone doing this weekend?
I have a lot of fun things planned for the weekend. Today I’m going into the city for a job interview and since I’ll be in the area, I’m going to stop by my favorite running store – Fleet Feet Sports. I should probably leave my credit/debit card at home because I know I’ll want to buy everything. ;P My plans for Saturday are sort of up in the air. The highlight of the weekend will be on Sunday when I meet with my running coach and then go to a brunch with Chanthana.
The up coming meeting with my coach has got me thinking about goals. Setting goals and saying what you want out of life out loud helps you get what you want. Admitting the things you want is the first step in achieving those goals. I don’t think goals are achieved by accident. Goals must be thoughtfully planned in order to be reached.
Setting goals will:
- Give you a focus
- Keeps you accountable
- Keeps you motivated
My Summer Goals:
1) Follow my Chicago Marathon training plan – this will be my first time following a training plan.
2) Speed work – I have never done speed work. I know this will make me faster.
3) Sleep 7-8 hours a night – Running is tough on your body and getting enough sleep will help my muscles recover.
4) Drink 2 liters of water every day.
If you run too hard or run too many miles without enough recovery time it could lead to an injury.
How to train smart:
- Increase your mileage gradually. Don’t increase your mileage by more than 10% a week.
- Give yourself periodic “rest weeks” by dropping your mileage every 4th week.
- Add cross-training into your plan.
- Take rest days. It will speed up your recovery.
Have you set any summer goals?